How do I process an Authorization Only (Auth Only) transaction on my VX520?
An Authorization Only (Auth Only) transaction allows you to reserve an amount on a card, which you can settle later.
For example, hotels may perform an Auth Only approval for a greater amount than the cost of a room. This amount is reserved on the card but not charged. This means that the customer can add additional service costs to their bill that they can settle when they check out.
On the VX520, you settle an Auth Only transaction by running an Off Line transaction.
To process an Auth Only transaction:
- From the SoftPay home screen, press the leftmost purple key once to access the second menu screen.
- Press F4 (Auth Only).
- Use the keypad to type the amount to authorize, then press Enter.
- To confirm the authorization amount, press F1 (Yes).
- Swipe, dip, or tap the payment card on the terminal, or use the keypad to type the card number then press Enter.
- If the customer’s card is Visa or Mastercard, press F1.
- Select the customer’s preferred language:
- English – F1
- Spanish – F2
- (Optional) If the customer is using a card that requires a PIN. Prompt them to either:
- Use the external PIN pad to enter their PIN
- Use the keypad on the VX520 to enter their PIN, then return the terminal to you
- The terminal instructs the customer to return terminal to clerk. Press Enter.
- To print a copy of the receipt for the customer, press F1 (Yes).