How do tips work with EMV transactions?
On the Genius device
If you have the Tip feature turned on, your Genius device prompts the customer to enter a tip amount before it sends the authorization request to the processors. Because Genius sends the sale and tip in a single transaction it means:
- You do not need to make an adjustment after the authorization
- Tip acceptance is not limited to certain merchant types
- There is no difference between EMV and magstripe transactions
Contact your sales representative if you are interested in adding the Tip feature to your Genius device.
Without a Genius device
- Only certain merchant types may add a tip to a transaction after it has been authorized, for example:
- There are limits to the tip amount that you can add to a transaction.